GETTING STARTED - FUSING
Info taken from Spectrum Glass System 96 Getting Started with Kiln-fired Glass
- WHAT IS FUSING
- The Ramp. The rate in degrees per hour, that kiln temp will rise or fall during the segment
- The Goal Temp. The temperature the kiln will seek during each segment.
- Hold Time. the number of minutes the kiln will stay at the Goal Temp, once it is reached.
- Tack Fuse: glass is joined with little change beyond the softening or rounding of glass edges.
- Contour: The glass edges are soft and rounded, yet the project surfaces retain a degree of dimension.
- Full: Works best on two layer projects containing an even amount of glass on each layer. These will melt together completely and smooth surface.
- Slump: This is a second trip to the kiln and it is taking what you have created and put it in a mold to "slump" into the shape of the mold.